Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Trainer Tuesdays: What are Some Healthy Options for Packing a Lunch to Take to Work?


Trainer Tuesdays

Welcome back to the weekly edition on Trainer Tuesdays. Make sure to check in at our blog every Tuesday evening to learn the expertise of our great staff. Aside from being fantastic exercise coaches, they are also extremely knowledgeable in many aspects of health and fitness; so, it's time that you get to know them a little better! Each week, we will post a frequently asked, or sometimes just a fun fitness related question followed by the answers of each of the trainers at Fitness Together Brecksville.


What are Some Healthy Options for Packing a Lunch to Take to Work?


http://fitnesstogetherbrecksville.net
Taynee Pearson: Taking a packed lunch to work is better than eating out everyday and it helps you resist the temptation of eating junk food. There are a lot of healthy options to pack for lunch such as grilled chicken salad, tuna salad, chicken, brown rice and vegetables. Sandwiches are okay to take to work too but make sure it's made with whole grain bread and try avoid the processed lunch meats. Alternatives to put on a sandwich would be tuna, mozarella, pesto and tomatoes, or grilled chicken with avocado.

Jenn Noggle: When I am packing a lunch, I basically try to keep three things in mind---protein, complex carbohydrate and vegetable. My goal is always to include at least one of each for a well-balanced meal. Some of my personal favorites for each category include the following:
Protein: chicken, turkey, yogurt, low-fat string cheese
Complex carbohydrate: high fiber whole grain breads and pastas, brown rice, apples and lentils
Vegetables: peppers, broccoli, onions, tomatoes, spinach
These are just some of my personal favorites/staples but there are certainly numerous other options. Find what works for you and stick with foods that you will actually enjoy. Another thing I love to do is cook a larger, healthy dinner the night before so that I can pack the leftovers then and there and know that I have a healthy lunch ready to go. That way I am a lot less likely to grab junk if I hit the snooze button the next morning and find myself in a hurry.

Steven Madden: Eating healthy in our modern world of efficiency is always difficult.  There aren’t many fast food places that offer a wide menu of truly healthy food at a reasonable price (a reality that has helped lead to our obesity epidemic).  One of the best ways to ensure a healthy lunch then is to pack it yourself.

I like to make sure that I have a lean protein, vegetables and fruits, and then good carbs (with fiber) to round out my lunches.  First, never make a sandwich with white bread.  I like a good dark, whole wheat bread.  My two go to sandwiches are: traditional peanut butter; with good fats, fiber and protein, as well plenty of vitamins and minerals, it can be very filling.  The other is one I call a stunt sandwich.  I call it that because I ate one every day that I was training in Seattle at the International Stunt School.  It is a simple sandwich of whole grain bread, raw spinach and kale with off the bone shaved turkey.  I can personally attest that this is a filling sandwich that can help you get through a very hard day of physical work.

Raw fruit is always good, especially when craving something sweat.  A small apple or orange is often found in my lunches, maybe grapes and strawberries.  Toss in a few stalks of broccoli and some carrot sticks, and your meal is rounding out nicely.  A half cup of almonds will also increase your protein intake, which will help satiate you longer, and so will half a cup of brown rice while adding a good amount of fiber to your meal as well.

The last thing I take into consideration is time.  I have said many times that I would make a lunch before I leave my house and start the day.  I have never succeeded in doing this.  Now, I make my lunch in the evening before I go to bed.  This way, I have no excuse to go get fast food. 

Kelly Bailey: It can be very difficult to stick with healthy eating habits at work or on the road. It’s even harder if you stop at the local fast food restaurant to be tempted by high fat, over-processed foods. The best way to keep your healthy eating on track is to be prepared by taking your own lunch and snacks. When I make myself a take-and-go meal, I always make sure it’s filled with a good mix of healthy carbs, fat, and protein. I most often take a large spinach salad drizzled with olive oil and a pinch of salt, a can of tuna packed in water, and a piece of fruit. This combination supplies the healthy nutrients I need and keeps me full and energized for the rest of my busy day.



© 2014 Fitness Together, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Fusionbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment