Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Trainer Tuesday: What is Your Favorite Fitness Book, Magazine or Website and Why?



Trainer Tuesdays

Welcome back to the weekly edition on Trainer Tuesdays. Make sure to check in at our blog every Tuesday evening to learn the expertise of our great staff. Aside from being fantastic exercise coaches, they are also extremely knowledgeable in many aspects of health and fitness; so, it's time that you get to know them a little better! Each week, we will post a frequently asked, or sometimes just a fun fitness related question followed by the answers of each of the trainers at Fitness Together Brecksville.


What is Your Favorite Fitness Book, Magazine or Website and Why?

Fitness Together Brecksville Personal Trainers at our Client Appreciation Party
 
Justin Traft: I would have to say one of my favorite fitness websites are muscle and strength. I actually found it a couple of years ago. They have get tips for beginners or your intermediate gym goers. They also have a host of recipes for healthy food and ideas to spice up boring foods like plain chicken and fish. They post motivational weight loss stories of people an there journey they have been on to achieve there goals. Also, they have instructional videos on workouts/exercises and supplements that may help you either during or after your workout from experts.

Jessie's Choice!
Jessie Regula: I cannot wait until I get my Oxygen magazine every month!  I've tried out many different fitness magazines, but this one is by far my favorite, because it encourages women to lift heavy.  Rather than showing skinny women on the cover, it shows strong women who are muscular, many of which have competed in fitness competitions.  Not only does it include tough workout plans, but it also has a section on how to eat clean along with easy to make recipes.

A popular option among our staff!
Adam Teplitz: It's hard to narrow it down to just one fitness site or book. There is an endless array of quality fitness information out there. If I had to choose one , it would be bodybuilding.com.  It offers a large pool of knowledgeable individuals that fitness enthusiasts of all levels can connect with.  It also keeps you up to date on the latest supplements and fitness trends. The site always has new, innovative workout routines to keep you from plateauing.



Bronson Rotaru:  I like to read stuff from coaches like Lee Boyce and trainers like, TonyGentilcore. These are smart guys with tons and tons of knowledge...

Lisa Clark: As a trainer I spend a lot of time reading different articles related to health and fitness. I have found that Bodybuilding.com seems to be a wonderful resource for new exercise ideas, information on supplements, nutrition, the latest fitness trends, etc. They have motivational stories as well as videos and recipes.

Monika's Favoite...no wonder she's so tough!
Monika Cotter: There are so many fitness blogs, websites, magazines etc. out there nowadays it can be hard to know which one to pay attention to. One of my favorites that I follow is on Facebook called Body RockT.V. I know it sounds kind of cheesy but it is for the most part an excellent tool for fitness. While I don’t agree with everything posted on the site, it gives readers good advice about fitness and nutrition, challenges and kick-butt workouts! I have made some of the recipes from the site and it was yummy. Everyday it posts inspirational pictures to keep you motivated, peoples’ weight loss journeys and if you decide to subscribe to it you can get emails of videos of different exercise programs. Let me tell you there are some tough workouts on there. While Body Rock T.V. is not the only article that I read or program that I follow it is a good tool to use to stay healthy and keep motivated.

Kelly Bailey: I would consider reading to be my third hobby after riding horses and training for and competing in triathlons. So of course most of my reading centers around the latter two things! I am a huge fan of all of the books and articles written by Philip Maffetone. Much of his writing centers around taking a holisThe Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing. It's made a pretty big difference in my approach to triathlon training and nutrition. For those interested in nutrition and healthy recipes, I recently read a magazine that I really like called Eating Well. I thought the articles were informative and the recipes look amazing (though I haven't had time to try any yet)!  
tic approach to endurance training. I have read and re-read his book:

Steven Madden: My favorite magazine for fitness help and tips is not a fitness magazine per say, but is actually Men's Journal.  They usually have a section for fitness ideas and tips, as well as nutrition.  What I really like though is a monthly fitness column written by professional surfer, Laird Hamilton.  I find he offers great tips on workouts and exercises, as well as recovery and motivation.  Check it out next time your in the grocery store; give it a look.

One of Sean's mentors as a trainer
SeanSullivan: Well call me bias, but my favorite website for fitness information is Fitness Together Brecksville’s blog. On this site, you will find some great information and motivation from not only some of the best personal trainers, but from the best people. You can also find the same great material on our Facebook page. I could certainly repeat a lot of the answers from our staff because those are all excellent sources of information from some of our industry’s most respected leaders. My personal favorite book about understanding and boosting your metabolism  is C-Reel Results by Cleveland’s own John Henry Creel. I started my career as one of John Henry’s trainers and was around when he was writing this book; in fact, I am credited in the acknowledgements. It is an easy-to-understand read with a great explanation of how to properly utilize your muscles in order to efficiently burn calories. My favorite websites to find some great workout programs come from RossTraining.com and T-Nation.com When you go to Ross Enamait's site, check out some of his jump rope videos…insane! I also like how he is able to utilize household items to create innovative exercise equipment. For example, I have seen him use wheels of a lawnmower to create an ab-wheel that you can use separately in each arm instead of one for both arms. A lot of my creativity as a personal trainer and motivator can be attributed to one of these 3 sources.


© 2015 Fitness Together, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Fusionbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment