Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Trainer Tuesdays: What motivates YOU during your personal workouts when you feel like giving up on the last set?



Trainer Tuesdays

Welcome back to the weekly edition on Trainer Tuesdays. Make sure to check in at our blog every Tuesday evening to learn the expertise of our great staff. Aside from being fantastic exercise coaches, they are also extremely knowledgeable in many aspects of health and fitness; so, it's time that you get to know them a little better! Each week, we will post a frequently asked, or sometimes just a fun fitness related question followed by the answers of each of the trainers at Fitness Together Brecksville.


What motivates YOU during your personal workouts when you feel like giving up on the last set?

Jessica Regula: Despite what some people believe, we personal trainers can have a hard time with motivation too (we're still humans!) One of the biggest motivators for me, is my playlist.  If I feel like I'm losing steam in my workout, I need to find a darn good song ASAP to finish off that set!  Another thing that I like to do is visualize.  Visualization is a powerful thing.  If I find that I'm lacking the will to finish my workout, I think about all the good that I am doing my body and, the more superficial thoughts too of course.  Then, as I'm doing my last set, I really focus on contracting that muscle and thinking about what it is going to look like more toned and defined.  It sounds kind of weird, but it works every time.  And, lastly, if I have an event coming up (like my best friend's wedding!)  I find that I'm able to push myself through that last set rather well when I think about that particular event (or in this case, my bridesmaid dress!) Find what works for you--you can do it!!

Brecksville Personal Trainer Justin Traft doing the chest fly
Justin Traft: Great question I get from a lot of my clients… What motivates me when sometimes I feel like I can't go on and finish? My burning motivation is I never want to go back to being overweight like I was before. How I felt about myself was enough to keep me going all the time. I always remember how people would make fun of me when I was younger or how I got passed up playing sports because I was overweight. Every time I get to that point of can't finish I just think about that and it fuels me to work hard and push more. Not only do I take that concept during my workouts but in life too. I am a go getter and I work for everything I have. An I wouldn’t change it.


Adam Teplitz: Training your mind is just as important as training your muscles. Having that positive mindset can be the difference between another average workout and taking it to the next level. It's that same mindset that motivates me to get those extra reps and sets in. I'm constantly pushing my body's limits during my workouts and the only way to do that is to grind out that last set.

 Monika Cotter: It is so hard sometimes to get thorough that last set. I am tired, I am usually running late and sometimes I just don't want to. But then I remember my goal for that month.  Every month I make myself a few goals. It can vary from losing 1/4 of an inch, fitting into a certain bathing suit to curling a 20lb for so many reps, but remembering that goal gets me to push past my limits and get that last set/rep in. So if you are working out without one of Fitness Togethers fablous trainers giving you encouragement just remember your goals and why you started and that will help you push through!

Joshua Teplitz: When I'm struggling on my last set, it's usually music that gives me the extra edge.  Finding a good rhythm is extremely important during a workout, so the pace of the music you listen to is more important than you think.  Try to choose something that is upbeat and positive, as certain songs can naturally help to release endorphins that can supply your body with that extra boost.

Kelly Bailey: Maybe it's my tendency toward perfectionism, but I have always been intrinsically motivated to exercise and complete even the hardest of workouts. The psychological strain of NOT completing the last set is far worse for me than the discomfort I feel during that last set! The last time I gave up during a workout was only because I felt that continuing would leave me injured. A great motivator for me is telling myself this: I would make my client finish this set....so I'm going to finish this set!

Terry Crews says the gym is his Spa Therapy. Steven Madden agrees
StevenMadden: What helps motivate me when experiencing those last couple of hard sets and/or reps is actually my mental health. We all know exercise releases endorphins that can make you feel better, but that isn't quite what I mean.  In an interview once Terry Crews explained that he goes to the gym every day because that is his "spa therapy."  I really feel the same way.  I'm not just working out my body, I'm relaxing.  Obviously, not in the moment where I have to put up the weight, but the workout in general. I always feel better after a workout, even more so when I didn't give up on a set or a few reps when I know I still have it in me to finish.

Lisa Clark working with her personal trainer

Lisa Clark: Even though I am a trainer, I am not any different than anyone else. I need motivation to even start a workout some days. And I know what exercises I like and which ones I would be hard pressed to force myself.  Therefore I am proof that even a trainer needs a trainer! I love having someone else watching my form, making sure I am going deep enough with my squats, and to make sure I finish all my reps even when I am tired and would probably quit if I was on my own! I find that it really helps to have someone else there to hold me accountable for my reps and to give me encouragement and a push to finish the entire workout even when I am exhausted.







Sean Sullivan: As the saying goes, “The only person you should try to be better than is yourself from
Fitness Together owner Sean Sullivan getting his reps in
yesterday”. I believe that my best days are still ahead of me, and I try to keep my focus on that approach when I’m exercising--- striving for progress. That being said, there are days when I get through a couple sets of my exercise circuit when I’m sweating, out of breath, and my muscles are burning. At that point, even as a fitness professional, it is easy to tell myself  “okay that’s good enough for today” however another saying says “Don’t stop when you’re tired, stop when you’re done!” One of my big motivators at that point of my workout is my clients and my staff. I start to feel a little funny when I see a client or someone on my staff doing a workout that I’m not too sure I could handle; or when I see a client lifting as much weight as I can lift. That keeps me on my toes and keeps me motivated to stay at least one step ahead of the game. Who knows, when one of our clients becomes stronger than me, maybe they will start training me instead?! Which brings me to another great motivator---a workout buddy! Whether I put myself on the schedule with a personal trainer at Fitness Together, or I have a friend or family member to workout with me; having another person involved always helps me to press on. I wouldn’t want to look like a quitter in front of my friend or family member. There are many motivators in life; just make sure you find what works for you and never give up on your dreams!  


© 2015 Fitness Together, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Fusionbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment