Tuesday, July 7, 2015

How can I help someone I care about get started in a fitness routine without offending them?



Trainer Tuesdays

Welcome back to the weekly edition on Trainer Tuesdays. Make sure to check in at our blog every Tuesday evening to learn the expertise of our great staff. Aside from being fantastic exercise coaches, they are also extremely knowledgeable in many aspects of health and fitness; so, it's time that you get to know them a little better! Each week, we will post a frequently asked, or sometimes just a fun fitness related question followed by the answers of each of the trainers at Fitness Together Brecksville.


How can you help someone you care about get started in a fitness routine without offending them?

www.brecksvillefitness.com
 
Lisa Clark: I think we all know people who would benefit from being on an exercise program, but how can you say something without offending them, sounding like you are putting them down, or hurting their feelings? This is a difficult position to be in however I have approached this issue from a couple of different ways. I think it's important to come from experience.  Share your story with them and how you feel better when you exercise, have more energy, feel more positive about things in life, gone down on medication, etc. Or ask them to start doing things with you! Invite them to the gym with you, or to go for a run. Make it seem like it's a fun activity for you to do together and once they start exercising with them hopefully they will feel better and want to continue it on their own. Just the most important thing I keep in mind is not to make it about weight or about how they look. I try to impress the positive benefits that exercise can have on your health!!

Kelly Bailey: Helping those you love get more fit and healthy can be a touchy subject. You likely have the best intentions, but sometimes your advice may be taken as an insult or you may be seen as overly critical. I live this story every day: my husband is my polar opposite. He smokes, doesn't exercise, drinks coke and other sugary drinks, and refuses to eat anything resembling a whole grain. (Don't even get me started on the argument over whether iceberg lettuce drowned in French dressing counts as a healthy vegetable.)

My only concern is for his health. Truly. I'm not interested in having a husband with six-pack abs, huge pecs, or biceps with their own GPS coordinates. I just want him to remain functionally fit as we age so that we can participate in those things we love to do (camping, kayaking, hiking, etc). That being said, in my personal experience, it has been best to leave this subject alone unless a loved one is specifically asking for your help or advice. This doesn't mean my husband and I don't have discussions about health, but I don't make it about him. Our conversations about health and fitness usually arise because I will tell him about something I read or saw on TV. Amazingly, over time, I have noticed that he is making little shifts in his thinking. He'll ask me questions about foods, and I've even seen him looking at nutrition labels! He has started taking evening walks with the dog, and is considering buying a treadmill desk for his office.

Bottom line (for me) is that when it comes to loved ones, the most important thing is to love them no matter their fitness level or weight. You cannot make someone change, and the best thing to do is live YOUR life as healthfully as possible. Your loved ones will see the positive changes in you and will become much more inquisitive and receptive to information about health and fitness.


Try having a workout partner to exercise with you!
Taylor Burns: I believe that one of the best ways to encourage a fitness routine for someone you care about is to try to do exercises together to help promote the positives of fitness both mentally and physically. Starting out with something small such as going on a 20-30 minute walk two days a week or even encouraging the person to come with you to the gym one day a week. We all start somewhere, whether we are all in or take baby steps towards exercise.  Having a partner can help influence us to exercise as it holds us accountable and can make fitness more appealing! 

Justin Traft: So the question is how can you get someone you care for to start a fitness routine without offending them? Well, I actually went through this a couple years ago with my own mother who I love to death. See, she had been gaining weight and then she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Hit hard for both of us. After we found out, I went to my mom and asked “what do you think about getting on a fitness routine? Nothing crazy, but something I can guide you through.” At first she wasn't really interested. Then, I continued “look I am not saying all this because I think you’re overweight. I am saying all this because I love you and care about you. I want you to be around for a long time to see my kids someday. And to be healthy enough to live a long happy life.” See sometimes it’s all in the approach letting them know you care enough about them to take time to make sure that their health is important to you as well. That alone speaks volumes. Then, when they finally agree do it on their terms, ease into don't rush it. First starting off you are going to need to be a cheerleader to start because they're going to want to change their mind and make up excuses. But feed them with positive encouragement and be their support system when they need it. Remember we were all there at one time or another. Even offer to workout with them to help them stay motivated. Like a training buddy system. ACTION WILL ALWAYS SPEAK LOUDER THEN WORDS. 


Adam Teplitz: Motivation is a powerful weight loss tool that can help individuals reach their goals more quickly. The key to helping a loved one lose weight is by motivating them. Support and encouragement can help a loved one reach their weight loss goals. Sit down with your loved one and help them outline their goals. Let them know you are willing to help them take action to become a healthier person and adapt a healthier lifestyle. Take it a step further and exercise with your loved one. They are more likely to be motivated to exercise if they have an exercise partner.
It can also be beneficial to cook with your loved one. Plan meals ahead of time with them. Set aside time to cook at least a few meals together each week. Lastly, encourage your loved one to keep a journal about their weight loss journey. A journal can help your loved one to stay motivated. They can record their exercise routine, what they eat , and how they feel once their done eating. Encouraging them to keep a journal can be a powerful motivational tool. Always make it known to your loved one that their health should be a priority and that it's the key reason behind you encouraging them to start a fitness routine.

Monika Cotter: There are so many people in this world that I  love and care about and as a trainer I want to see all of them healthy, happy and for them to feel confident in their selves.  I want them to love working out as much as I do but I know that is not always the case. I understand that it can be
A workout buddy can always bring extra motivation!
hard to start a fitness program and stay with it.  I want to give the people I care about a push in the right direction but I don't ever want to hurt their feelings. Some of the ways I can help them get started on their way to a healthier lifestyle is by simply asking them if they want to join me either at the gym or just by doing something active.  There are many activities we can do outside together.  Walking, biking, jogging, jumping on a trampoline, the possibilities are endless. If my loved ones prefer to try doing it on their own I will help them set small, attainable goals and help keep them accountable. It can be frustrating trying to help someone, but it is all about them not about me and I cannot force anyone to start their own fitness journey, but I will always be there for them and will always lend a helping hand or a listening ear.

Jessica Regula: Once you begin working out and noticing all of the wonderful benefits being active has on your body and mind, you'll want everyone to join in! However, sometimes talking about fitness to those you care about can be a sensitive subject, so you have to tread lightly. If your friend or family member has expressed interest in starting a fitness plan before, the easiest way to get them started would be to bring them with you to the gym sometime or recommend that they get a personal trainer. Having a buddy to encourage them and help them stay motivated while working out goes a long way. Another way that you can help someone get started with being active, is to ask them to join you in a group fitness class, possibly one that you've never been to before either. This way, they'll feel more comfortable since you'll also be new at it and group fitness tends to be less intimidating. If they have absolutely no interest in fitness, then continue what you are doing with your training. You can share with them how much better you've been feeling as well as other benefits, plus they'll see you making progress and will soon want to know what you're doing and how they can get started. Be patient and don't push, people have to want to workout for themselves first, so stay encouraging!

Maria Kolodziej: Personally, I think being a rock-solid example of wellness is the best way to go about this. When you look well and feel well it shows through in everything you do. Making strategic comments about wellness, your nutritional choices, and your time exercising around the person you are trying to motivate might be all it takes. There is a lot to be said for just "planting the seed." 

Steven Madden: Getting someone you care about to start working out can be tricky.  There are a lot of implications to that idea.  I think it's best to approach it from a healthy lifestyle point of view.  Make it clear that you are speaking about overall health.  Then, you have to start small, and find something you'll do together. It could be taking a spinning class, martial arts, or even something as simple taking a walk together. Bottom line, you need to be willing to support them by actually doing it with them.

Then, when things get comfortable, you have to find the right way to increase frequency and intensity. My wife as asked me to train her several times. I first tried treating her like a client, that didn't end well, there were tears. Then I tried a softer approach that just didn't work hard enough. The truth is that while my wife is a dancer, she just doesn't like to work out, she hates the actual exercising portion of the whole thing. I tried lots of different approaches, short intense workouts, longer with more rest periods, nothing worked; apart from walking together. Finally, the solution came when she asked me why do I work out.

Personal Trainer Steven Madden as Captain America
See, I didn't realize she was looking at progress on a daily basis.  If the scale didn't move or she didn't look better after 3 days, she didn't want to continue.  When I explained that I view every workout as an individual challenge for me to conquer, her whole attitude changed.  Don't get me wrong, I want to weigh a little less and have a little more muscle mass, but if my goal is to look like Chris Evens in Captain America, that has to be the end result of daily challenges I set for myself in the form of intense workouts. When my wife started looking at her health like that, it all became easier. She still hates doing it, but now she will at least do it, with me right by her. 
  


© 2015 Fitness Together, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Fusionbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment