Tuesday, March 22, 2016

What is Your Favorite Cheat Meal, and How Do You Plan For It?

Trainer Tuesdays

Welcome back to the weekly edition on Trainer Tuesdays. Make sure to check in at our blog every Tuesday evening to learn the expertise of our great staff. Aside from being fantastic exercise coaches, they are also extremely knowledgeable in many aspects of health and fitness; so, it's time that you get to know them a little better! Each week, we will post a frequently asked, or sometimes just a fun fitness related question followed by the answers of each of the trainers at Fitness Together Brecksville.



What is Your Favorite Cheat Meal, and How Do You Plan For It? 



Adam Teplitz: Everyone loves a good cheat meal. My go to cheat meal would have to be a Swenson's cheeseburger, with a side of onion rings and a diet coke. Making the 40 minute drive to the original Swenson's in Akron has been a family tradition for years.

Preparation is key. I exercise before the meal for damage control. It could be 30 minutes of high intensity interval training or 45 minutes of intense strength training.
Numerous studies have shown that exercise before a meal can increase the respiratory quotient ( the measure of the mix of all fuels burned.)  They also show that preceding a meal with exercise can prevent a shift to carbohydrates being burned for fuel. In turn, more fat will be burned for energy.
It's important not to let a cheat meal discourage you. It can be used as a reward for the hard work you've been putting in. Just remember to minimize the effects by getting in an exercise session beforehand.


Steven Madden: I don't plan for a cheat meal per se. Deciding to workout extra for a cheat meal kind of misses the point of a cheat meal, and can lead to the problem of seeing it as a reward, rather than a cheat, a dangerous distinction to make. The only real way I plan my cheat meal is that it is on payday. My wife and I get some local Chinese food and sit and watch The Big Bang Theory on DVD. I just remind myself that it is cheating, not some kind of earned reward.


Brooke Kratche: If you even skimmed our blog last week you would see how important nutrition is to staying healthy.  That being said, eating a bit  unhealthy here and there won't kill you.  Good news right?! It is important, however that you do not make a habit out of it.  For me, I love chicken wings! Take me to Buffalo Wild Wings and I'll spend all afternoon with a bucket Asian Zing chicken wings.  I'll wear the evidence of it on my face and under my fingernails (it's an excellent place for a first date).  Chicken wings are not my diet though, they are a special treat for me.  Maybe it is a huge Ohio State game or day full of March Madness or simply a fun Sunday date but it is not a diet staple.  Cheat meals should be fun! Work hard all week long then go out with friends and make a fun outing your cheat meal.



Lisa Clark:  Everyone likes to engage in a meal that is out of this world delicious and far from nutritious. The key is to not make it an every day occurrence and to plan for it to avoid guilt feelings and weight gain. My favorite cheat meal is pizza, BBQ chicken pizza with bacon! I just plan to eat a few less calories at each meal and snack throughout the day to accommodate and I make sure I get in a good workout on that day! Don't ever skip meals or snacks in order to allow you to eat a large cheat meal. Doing so will actually have the opposite effect as your body will slow down its metabolism and then will take longer to burn that meal. 


Mike Roberto: My favorite cheat meal is pizza.  The way I plan my cheat meal is that I usually have a slice or three on days when I am not at the gym, usually on rest days.  That way, I feel rewarded after a tough week at the gym and keeps my diet in check by enjoying food I don't normally during the week.



© 2016 Fitness Together, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   


No comments:

Post a Comment